 Trains / 23263 (-20)
  Re: Roundy Roundy

(...) Well, that's not exactly my argument. I'm saying when you block a large area from view just because you don't think a turning loop is 'prototypical', then your audience are more likely to see it as an inconvenience, rather than appreciate your (...) (20 years ago, 31-Jul-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: COLTC to display at Dennison TrainFestival, July 30 - Aug. 1

Pictures are up from setup on Thursday: (URL) rail fans, there are a large number of locomotives on display, with more scheduled to have arrived after I took pictures on Thursday. Pictures can be seen here: (URL) (20 years ago, 31-Jul-04, to lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.events, lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.oh)

  Re: Roundy Roundy

(...) Or at least you hope so... ;P (...) The rarity of the pieces used, the level of detail, and the size of the MOC come into play there. Jason Spears likes to build small tudor houses in rare colors, and Chris Leach likes to build tall structures (...) (20 years ago, 31-Jul-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Roundy Roundy

(...) I think the point Rick was trying to make was if you bring a mountain to a show it's likely to be mostly assembled and takes far less time to make show ready. I do have to disagree with the cost factor however. Building BIG items like my (...) (20 years ago, 31-Jul-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Roundy Roundy

(...) Is it? Don't the tunnels and such need to be detailed as well? Larry's mountain may cover a large chunk of track, but I'd bet it could be cheaper to just lay down a few empty baseplates, pepper them with trees and shrubs, and stick a few (...) (20 years ago, 31-Jul-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Roundy Roundy

(...) <snip> (...) On the other hand, trains disappearing and reappearing is a huge facination for children and adults alike (myself included). That's one of the reasons why traditional model railroaders have always added tunnels and hidden loops to (...) (20 years ago, 30-Jul-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Idea for new train wheel

(...) Using a BBB wheel would be the best starting point. I know that many of the train builders in Europe use the old spoked wheel, with a custom metal flanged tire added. I'd recomend turning a standard BBB to remove the flang and a git of the (...) (20 years ago, 30-Jul-04, to lugnet.parts.custom, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Idea for new train wheel

(...) In HO the presence/absence of tyres is sometimes considered a sign of low/hi quality. High quality models don't have them because they don't need them, they free roll enough that adhesion due to weight is sufficient. IIRC slippage is more (...) (20 years ago, 30-Jul-04, to lugnet.parts.custom, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Steam engine complex wheelbases (was: BBB wheels sales)

In lugnet.trains, Teunis Davey wrote: <snip> (...) Yes. There will be an announcement on lugnet/trains concurrent with the Brickfest announcement. Ben (20 years ago, 30-Jul-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Roundy Roundy

(...) Here's the track plan: (URL) I don't have any pictures of the finished module, but I think there might be some from the club events pictures. The siding in the very bottom-left started on a pier at the front of the table. That went under a (...) (20 years ago, 29-Jul-04, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Steam engine complex wheelbases (was: BBB wheels sales)

These pictures should give you some idea of how it works. First, here's the whole wheelbase from the side: (URL) As you can see, it's big. It takes up 90° of curve on its own. This includes the tender though. The main thing to notice in this picture (...) (20 years ago, 29-Jul-04, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Duplo intelliTrain sets on sale at KB

Duplo/Explore intelliTrain sets on sale at KBtoys.com Explore Logic: Intelli-Train Deluxe Set $50 (URL) Explore Logic: Intelli-Train Station $15 (URL) Mat Clayson (20 years ago, 29-Jul-04, to lugnet.duplo, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Steam engine complex wheelbases (was: BBB wheels sales)

(...) Jason, I may try something along these lines. I want the back two wheel sets of the tender to be a 9v motor. My next experiment was to connect the front truck in the tender to the rear set of drive wheels. From what you say this should work. I (...) (20 years ago, 29-Jul-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Roundy Roundy

(...) For exhibition layouts I would say I have to agree with everything youy say above. Lego IS a toy and if you want trains to go through a moon-base so what? Loops allow for continuous movement with less operator effort. My comment about the (...) (20 years ago, 29-Jul-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Roundy Roundy

(...) IIRC, COLTC has done this, using swallowable gastrointestinal cameras about the size of a large pill, which can be embedded in a locomotove where the headlight would normally go. The result is broadcast, received, and displayed on the laptop (...) (20 years ago, 29-Jul-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Roundy Roundy

(...) I built a B&W CMOS camera into the back of a TV OB-Van a few years ago. The kids had fun trying to work out from the image where the camera was on the layout. It never occurred to them it was right where a minifig is sat in a crane chair (...) (20 years ago, 29-Jul-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Steam engine complex wheelbases (was: BBB wheels sales)

(...) I'll put some up shortly. Your cylinders are a little more complex than mine - I use something similar to my Rocket. My whole train fits within 8 studs wide, apart from the odd stud on the end of some half-pins. (I might have to slice these (...) (20 years ago, 29-Jul-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Roundy Roundy

(...) Ooohh. Any chance of something like that being up here (Edmonton, Alberta) in late September? Lets just say that our group (NALUG) is going to have some bridges for this year's GETS (Great Edmonton Train Show) display. (See (URL) for some (...) (20 years ago, 29-Jul-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Roundy Roundy

(...) One of the things I am looking forward to at BrickFest is being able to run some trains. No room in my basement - it's full of nasty machinery like milling machines with a terrible hunger for bright shiny ABS bricks ;) The thing is, my new (...) (20 years ago, 29-Jul-04, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Roundy Roundy

(...) Yes, at minifig eye level. That's the perspective I'm personally most interested in. No, at normal viewing level. But that's OK. We usually have at least one endloop visible anyway. and both ends if the mountain isn't there. (20 years ago, 29-Jul-04, to lugnet.trains)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact