 Trains / 21753
Re: DCC chip installed in accessory brick
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 30 Nov 2003 13:07:16 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ross Crawford wrote:

Well I was thinking of not actually installing the decoder in the motor - here's
my idea:

1. Cut through the conductors under the 2x2 connector on the motor.
2. Connect the power pickups to 2 of the contacts, the motor to the other 2.
3. Modify the contact end of a 9V wire in the same way as the motor so there's
four separate contacts.
4. Install the decoder in a "brick" made of plates with a electric plate on top,
and connect the power & motor outputs to the modified lead in step three with a
four-wire lead.
5. Connect accessory outputs from decoder to the electric plate as desired.
Maybe even leave a "straight through" connection.

The reason I want to try this is partly that the decoder now becomes totally
separate, but mostly, the motor can still be used as a standard 9V train motor,
by either shorting the contacts with 1x2 electric plates, or just connecting a
standard 9V wire!

This sounds like a great solution if you can pull it off. This, or contacts at
both ends with pickup on one end and motor power on the other, are what we'd
been hoping LEGO would do in a redesign of the motor but Brad has said not to
count on that ever happening.