 Trains / 21696
Re: DCC chip installed in accessory brick
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 23:35:49 GMT

In lugnet.trains, David Koudys wrote:

Don't have anything glued yet so I'll take pics and get them up.

Dave,

I don't know if you already did this, but before you glue it together, consider
putting diodes in parallel with the light outputs.  This will allow you to run
inductive loads like motors and relays with the light outputs without fear of
blowing the switching transistors.  I think someone mentioned here that they
were able to run a micromotor without using a diode and didn't have any
problems, but adding the diode seems like a cheap bit of insurance to me.
Here's a post explaining how the diode gets hooked up (and interestingly enough
it's addressed to you, so sorry if I sound like a broken record here).

http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/rcx/?n=2089

Very cool, David! (so as not to be confused with Dave!)  I'm very interested in
hearing about any applications you come up for this.

Cheers,

Mark