 Trains / 21708
Re: DCC chip installed in accessory brick
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 17:31:23 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Hill wrote:
In lugnet.trains, David Koudys wrote:

I don't have a 12v motor but this mod should be pretty easy.

Good luck with that.

Yes! It works,  I came home this evening and cut open a perfectly good brand new
9V motor and put a 1.5 amp decoder inside and connected it to the 2x2 electrical
plate on the motor housing.  Now I have those old 12V locos running again.  They
look cool with 6 wheels and the gray valve rods etc.  7727 was the first to go
for a run!

My

They actually run better than the 9V trains on the same DCC supply, they start
sooner, have just as much pull (maybe more) but might be a bit down on top speed
although still fast enough to cannon off on the curves.

The only (slight) disappointment is that the 9V motor housing makes a rather
unusual looking bogey ( i.e. truck).

Sweet!  Love to see pics sometime :)

Yeah, the 9v train housing is a strange animal, but I'm pretty much used to it
now.

My biggest qualm is the lack of 'fake middle wheel' expandability for 3 wheel
power bogeys to emulate newer NA locos.

Right now I have my 'dummy' 3 wheel power bogeys on my new engine, and that just
gets pushed around the track by the 'B' unit with the 9v motor.

Looks okay--it'll do (for now :) )

Dave K