 Trains / 21695
Re: DCC chip installed in accessory brick
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 22:13:48 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Chris Phillips wrote:

<snip>

I'm glad to hear that this worked so well!  When I first got into DCC I bought
an HO decoder that ended up being just a little bit too big to cram inside a
LEGO train motor, and I've been meaning to do this ever since.  I was thinking
of using separate electrical wires instead of the electrical plate for ease of
soldering, but I think what you have done is more modular.

Another thought is that for people who don't have enough track hookup leads, you
can connect the decoder straight to the LDCC RCX using a regular piece of hookup
wire.  Or daisy-chain multiple decoders from a single track connection.

Can't wait to see what you hook this up to!

- Chris.

Hey Chris,

THere was a post a while back in which someone showed how to take the metal tabs
out of the 2x8 brick---by taking a small drill and taking off the plastic
holders.

I did that for my last revision (which there are no pics of yet) and it worked
the best--you can cut hte metal tabs into the 2 stud sections nad solder the
wires onto the tabs without melting the plastic.

After I put the tabs back into the 2x8, I took a reglar 2x8 plate, cut out the
center (enuf to allow the DCC chip to pass thru it)--the regular plate holds the
tabs in place.

Don't have anything glued yet so I'll take pics and get them up.

Take care,

Dave K