 Trains / 21694
Re: DCC chip installed in accessory brick
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 21:56:27 GMT

In lugnet.trains, David Koudys wrote:
http://sparky.i989.net/ltrain.htm

I took an HO chip and attached it to a 2x8 electric plate.

After an absolute brutal hatchet and soldering job, I started anew and actually
made a reasonable job of it.

Separated the 2x8 into 4 2x2 electric segments

1 input
1 variable speed output (for motors)
2 light outputs

It works well.  You can attach the 2x8 brick at anyplace on the layout using
the track points.

Now that I have it, there are numerous applications around the layout--I'll
have to decide what to make next :)

Dave K

I'm glad to hear that this worked so well!  When I first got into DCC I bought
an HO decoder that ended up being just a little bit too big to cram inside a
LEGO train motor, and I've been meaning to do this ever since.  I was thinking
of using separate electrical wires instead of the electrical plate for ease of
soldering, but I think what you have done is more modular.

Another thought is that for people who don't have enough track hookup leads, you
can connect the decoder straight to the LDCC RCX using a regular piece of hookup
wire.  Or daisy-chain multiple decoders from a single track connection.

Can't wait to see what you hook this up to!

- Chris.