 Trains / 21754
Re: Broken Train Motors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 30 Nov 2003 18:10:59 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke wrote:

<snip>

Leg Godt!

Ben

(**) I own(ed) around 50++ motors (some of them bought in used to heavy used
condition) and not more than 4 of them have been damaged. So far I have only 1
time burnt a motor. Those have a really high operational reliability. Best
example has been a motor that still has been electrical ok, but had a hole on
the top side due to wear effects! (After half a year of use on an oval layout
(within set 4564 engine) in a shop window display.

One or two of my clips have broken, but always the result of the engine
careening off the layout and smashing on the ground.  The other clip is still
there so I haven't much worried about it--I can still put my truck facade with
coupler on my electric motors.

Beyond that--I took the trucks off my little electric loco yesterday--haven't
really looked at it in a long time, but it's been going around layouts at most
of our shows and here at home in the basement--took the trucks off last night
and noticed lots of wear on the bogie plate as well as what the bogie plate rubs
against.  Not near enuf to cause a hole, but lots of plastic dust nevertheless.
I wonder if there's a way to cut down on the wear 'n tear, y'know, besides not
running the locos on layouts :)

Dave K