 Trains / 20923
Re: DCC slowing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 13:33:06 GMT

John C. Moore wrote:

I was thinking that as long as we are modifying the motors in a manner to
perform better, I was looking at the possible places we could open the motor box
to allow ventilation for the motor.  Perhaps we could cut a hole on the bottom
directly under the motor?  My concern would be dust entering the box
After we cleaned the tracks with steel wool, disassembled them, transported them
to the road show and reassembled them, the coupler magnets still picked up a
copious amount of steel wool fibers. I certainly wouldn't want to get *that*
stuff inside the case. I suppose we could easily seal the edges of the hole with
silicone or gasket goo.

How about mounting a heat sink to the bottom of the motor, cutting a hole in the
case to accommodate and ventilate it, and sealing the case around it? Granted, it
would have to be a very shallow heat sink--no thicker that a LEGO plate.

Another thing as far as DCC, if the decoder is overheating, could we mount the
decoder outside of the motor box to keep it cool?
I thought about that, too. Even if the decoder isn't overheating, I'm sure it's
adding heat inside the case, making the motor overheat sooner that it otherwise
would. Having the decoder external provides another benefit--we can use larger
(hopefully cheaper) decoders than the N-scale ones that have been used so far. It
could also provide an easy way to easily switch a motor between DC and DCC operation.

I "retouched" one of Tom Cook's images from
http://www.lgauge.com/trains/dcc/dcc.htm to illustrate the confusion that
follows. See http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=54412 (deep links
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=496917 and
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=496910)

How about: cut the accessory connector's contacts in half, making two pairs of
contacts (illustrated by red lines). Inside the case, connect the rail pickups to
one pair (call it pair A) and the motor to the other (pair B). Now, to run this
motor as a DC (direct current) motor, just "jumper" the contacts by snapping one
end of an 9v wire or the end of a 2x4 electric plate
on top of the accessory connector. To run this as a DCC motor, connect a decoder
to two 1 x 2 electric plates as follows. Connect the decoder's rail pickup pair
to one plate (plate A) and the decoder's motor leads to another plate (plate B).
Snap plate A to the half of accessory connector connected to pair A and plate B
to the half of the accessory connector connected to pair B.

An (probably better) alternative to cutting the accessory connecter is Steve
Hassenplug's mod:
http://news.lugnet.com/org/us/indylug/?n=492.
Though in this case, I think I would have the motor lead exit the case further
forward so as not to interfere with bogey rotation.