 Trains / 20847
Re: DCC slowing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 05:50:01 GMT

It continued to go slower and slower until it came to a stop in these
corners and simply was acting like it had no power. Has anyone
else had this problem and what is the cause?  Over heating?

Snip

The track was powered by a RCX.

Also we only had 1 engine running and experienced this problem.

mark

Yes, I have experienced this.  I'd suspect overheating- what were the room
conditions?  I had it happen at LLCA in 2000- ~30C (reasonably hot), and largish
trains (5-10 cars).  The best solution I could come up with was not to run the
trains too long before changing engine (~1 hr or so), and letting them cool off.

I'd suspect that the wheelsets are the newer ones- the high friction specials.
Be aware that both black and gray wheelsets are affected.

I don't think you will fry a decoder UNLESS you stall the train, and then walk
away from it for a sustained period of time.  I think that this may be a problem
if you leave a train at a very low power setting (1 or 2%) and the motor isn't
moving (you can fry the decoder- i think...not sure, and at $35cdn/each, I'm not
going to try deliberately...)- so don't go doing that (leaving the loco
"running" with a train behind it but stalled out)

James