 Trains / 20921
Re: DCC slowing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.indylug
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 03:12:43 GMT

James Powell wrote:
It continued to go slower and slower until it came to a stop in these
corners and simply was acting like it had no power. Has anyone
else had this problem and what is the cause?  Over heating?

Snip

Yes, I have experienced this.  I'd suspect overheating- what were the room
conditions?  I had it happen at LLCA in 2000- ~30C (reasonably hot), and largish
trains (5-10 cars).  The best solution I could come up with was not to run the
trains too long before changing engine (~1 hr or so), and letting them cool off.

At the Indianpolis LEGO Road Show this past Friday, we ran the same layout as
John referred to at the top of this thread. All the heavy locos that ran the
outer loop experienced the exact same symptoms as he mentioned above, to the
point where some locos wouldn't run at all. We ran DCC on the outer loop for
about 2 hours, then switched it to a standard regulator. It didn't seem to help.
On the inner loop, a little "Thomas" engine and one or two cars ran at least
three hours without a break. It wasn't a cool day. Low 90s Farenheight (32C or
more), and the layout was partly (mostly?) in the sun, especially the outer loop.

I think this rules out DCC as the culprit and points toward overheating.

If this is true, do we have a solution other than light loads and frequent engine
changes?