 Trains / 20838
Re: DCC slowing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.indylug
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 19:52:17 GMT

Thanks for the reply, Mark.

Mark Riley wrote:
Perhaps the speed of the two motors was mismatched for one reason
or another.

Do you know what brand and model of decoders you were using? • Both motors had Digitrax DN121 decoders

Different decoders may move at different speeds with the same
speed setting.  This could be because of special decoder features, like
"Back-EMF" or "silent drive" or whatever.
I don't think the DN121 has this.

Also, most (if not all)
decoders allow you to vary how the decoder responds to speed
settings.
Both had the factory default speed tables.

We ran both motors without loads (okay, 1 had a bumper on it) around the loop,
and the speeds weren't identical, but they were close. Because the DN121 doesn't
have any kind of motor feedback control (it just puts out whatever voltage
corresponds to the speed setting) I would think the motors wouldn't fight unless
they were severely mismatched.

I would put my money on a combination of defective grey wheelsets and over-heating.