Re: dcc modification of a lego train motor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.indylug
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2003 15:10:22 GMT

Gee, I wish I had time to attend the IndyLUG meetings!  Anyway...

In lugnet.org.us.indylug, Brian B. Alano wrote:
train motor the first time I tried it. Oh, what the heck. If you can bring all
the supplies to an IndyLUG meeting, I'll take a whack at it. If something breaks,
I'll give you one of my train motors. I'll bring an LDCC-equipped RCX, and we'll
have some fun!

I have a suggestion.

I modified a train motor so I could control it with an on-board RCX.
Unfortunately, the project hasn't gone beyond that, yet!

Well, the mod consisted of dis-connecting the motor from the wheel-pickup, and
adding an extra wire.  The wheel-pickup is still attached to the connector on
top of the motor, and the wire is attached directly to the motor.  If the wire
is placed on the connector, the motor works as usual.

A DDC unit could easily be attached in-line.

This could be done with very little "damage" to the train motor.

Check it out:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Hassenplug/TrainMods/p5290037.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Hassenplug/TrainMods/p5290043.jpg

Just a thought.