 Trains / 18831
Re: 2003 Trains - great!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 16:38:42 GMT

LEGO has always been careful not to put things that aren't included into
their pics. (I am talking about the older packaging now) So sets that come
without track tended to be photographed on that blue ground, blue/red/yellow
cave walls background. If the set came with track it would be sitting on
track but if it didn't it would just be a printed picture of track on the
blue ground

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/4558 (has track)
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/3225 (doesn't have track)

Now the pic of the bullet is a bit small...

http://www.marzdistribution.com/images/LEGO-4511.jpg

but to my eyes it has some straights but the train itself is NOT sitting on
track. If the set came with curved track and LEGO was sticking to previous
form, the train would be sitting on it.

Interesting...  It looks like the two new train sets just come with a couple
straight tracks each.  I think this may be a good idea.  I think most people
who have bought a few LEGO train sets in the past, each with it's own basic
oval, have found themselves having two many curved tracks and too few
straight tracks.  It looks like with these sets you can get a new train and
at the same time add a couple more straights to your layout.

Note also that they're using a new stylised background which is common
between at least 4511 - 4514.

However these are not necessarily the final set pics, some still say "XXX
pieces"

What's interesting about the bullet train picture is that all you see is the
locomotive and a then just the edge of another car which doesn't look like a
mirror of the first.  It all seems odd that LEGO would have a package that
doesn't show the entire set on it.  I suspect that this isn't a very long
train, probably two or maybe three cars at most (a la Metroliner, two almost
identical cars on the ends and one passenger coach in the middle).  Wonder
if they will sell additional cars for it, like the club car.

Hmmm... with the cargo train should we assume it's just a loco and three
cars, or could there be something not shown there as well (a caboose perhaps)?

These sets look cool, and I'm sure I'll buy them, but they don't seem to be
going in the prototypical direction that they went with the Santa Fe train
(as I kind of hoped for this year).  Perhaps LEGO Direct will go in that
direction for additional S@H exclusive sets.

-PSD