 Trains / 15764
Re: Mountain Town - A train module experiment
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.town, lugnet.build
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 22:24:56 GMT

wow
great work, very good ideas.

How about a tram (or streetcar as Americans call it) instead of the
metroliner on the upper oval? That would be perfect!

Kim Toll <kim.toll@intel.com> wrote in message news:GsxBpx.J1C@lugnet.com...
The next update on my site is a page showing my Mountain Town train • module.

It is a fully brickscaped train module of a small town (or part of a small
town).

http://www.easystreet.com/~kjmrr/

From the town perspective, its the first complete, fully detailed town • scene
I've done.  I'm quite pleased with it from this aspect.

From the train perspective, its a bit more complicated.  This started as • an
experiment to try and find a compromise between the GMLTC style
brickscaping, and the PNLTC style 'plywood' layouts.

The things I love about the GMLTC module is the beautiful, multi-level
scenes that they can create.  And the fact that every thing is covered in
Lego.  That has some intangible appeal to me.  The down side is that
requires huge numbers of bricks, is difficult to transport and results • less
flexible layouts.

The wonderful things about the PNLTC style layouts are the flexibility.
Every show can be different.  Buildings can be moved, track plans changed,
etc.  Its highlight is flexibility.  On the down side however, the plywood
tables make for a very flat layout unless you build a special table that • has
two levels of plywood (which has been done, BTW).

This page shows my attempt to mix some brickscaping with some plywood and
get some of the advantages of both worlds.  On this page, I present the
results of my experiment and give a little summary of my feelings about • how
it turned out.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Kim