 Trains / 15751
Re: Mountain Town - A train module experiment
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.town, lugnet.build
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 00:12:20 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:
Trying to bridge the gap, so to speak, between "plywooders" and "modulers" is a
daunting task.  Obviously, the best part about a GMLTC style layout is the
detail in terrain and brick, which you have captured.  The only thing that made
me shudder was your stated set up time-- ouch.

Yes, I agree.  This is one of my biggest disappointments.  Part of it came
from all the trade-offs I made during construction.  When working under a
deadline, you make the decisions that get you there faster!

However, even taking that into account, I'm not sure how much I could do
that would significantly reduce setup time.  I can't transport it with all
the detailing in place because it breaks down in to so many pieces.

It also takes more room in my truck than I originally anticipated.  With
more careful planning, I could probably make the buildings nest better, make
the parts of the rock facade stack more cleanly, etc.  That might let me
pack more efficiently, but it won't do much for the setup time.

I think the ultimate idea would be something like what you've created, yet
easier and quicker to assemble and disassemble.  *That* is a benefit we at the
GMLTC reap that isn't so apparent.

Yup.  I'm with you there.  If you have the brick, and you have the way to
transport it, the GMLTC style definitely has the edge.

I'm not sure you could effectively transport my module in the assembled
state.  I don't believe that it is robust enough to handle that kind of
stress.  The supports for the upper level are just not designed for that.

Overall, I think what you've begun here is a great example for other clubs who
might want to "evolve" some day into more complex layout schemes.

Thanks for the kind words.  This is my goal.  I'd like to spur on other
people to innovate on how to merge the best of both worlds, or 'bridging the
gap' as you put it.  I've given it a shot, and I don't plan to stop there.
But I'd love to see what others have or will come up with too!

Kim

http://www.easystreet.com/~kjmrr/