 Trains / 15370
Re: My Sante Fe 10020
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 00:52:21 GMT

John <john@TCLTC.org> writes:
Bob Parker wrote:
That squares with my recollection. For whatever reason, the
oscillating ones (which were designed to increase safety at grade
crossings, IIRC) were sometimes called "Mars" lights. No idea
why.

I think that was the name of the manufacturer - the Mars Signal
Light Company

Also, wasn't that light actually red, as in the "red planet"?  I
know the Hiawatha Atlantics were retrofitted with red mars lites
after they were taken out of mainline service.

Well, the Caltrain commuter rail that runs between San Jose and San
Francisco uses only clear (white) lights on the front of the train,
and red on the rear.  One of the lights (the uppermost one, IIRC)
oscillates; the others (two or three, I forget) are steady.  All are
very bright.

Caltrain is a little weird because the locos always face San Jose,
regardless of the direction of travel.  The northernmost car has a
control cab in it (upstairs, on the right hand side of the car), and
both that car and the loco have a full set of lights (red and white).
Only the lights suitable for the direction of travel are on, of
course.  At the end of the line, the engineer just walks from one end
of the train to the other.

Has anyone built a Caltrain MOC?  I don't think I've ever seen one.

--Bill.

[Note crosspost: I added lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf for more local eyes to see]