 Trains / 15395
Re: My Sante Fe 10020
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 17:34:51 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Tony Hafner writes:
In lugnet.trains, William R. Ward writes:
Caltrain is a little weird because the locos always face San Jose,
regardless of the direction of travel.

This is almost completely standard commuter train practice, it's called
"push pull" operation. SEMTA, SEPTA, MTA, CTA, Metro North, you name it,
they all do it.

I've seen the term "push-pull" (in at least one coffee-table type railfan
book) used to refer to one locomotive at each end of a consist.  Is that
incorrect usage of the term, or does it have two completely different
meanings?

I am not sure but I would tend to lean toward both correct, different meanings.

Commuter practice puts controls in the ends of "some" (or all) cars so that
when the consist is made up a car with a controlset is at the very end of
the consist, enabling operation in reverse.

Some lines used depowered locomotives as their control vehicles. The book
author may have seen that and thought it was a locomotive at each end. I
dunno. But I do know this, unless you have a way to precisely control both
locos, having actual power at both ends is tricky.

I am not sure how commuter lines do it. They may use electrical signals or
they may run the MU lines all the way down the train.