 Trains / 15404
Re: My Sante Fe 10020
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 22:37:33 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Josh Baakko writes:
Some lines used depowered locomotives as their control vehicles. The book
author may have seen that and thought it was a locomotive at each end. I
dunno. But I do know this, unless you have a way to precisely control both
locos, having actual power at both ends is tricky.

I am not sure how commuter lines do it. They may use electrical signals or
they may run the MU lines all the way down the train.

This is in the dealings of DP, Depositied power...

DP is standard in newer North American loco's computers, uses Radio
Frequencies, allows the engineer to precisely control the rear engine,
taking off slightly slower then the lead loco, to reduce slack towards the
rear of the train.  DP is used by BNSF in coal trains, & UP, and other major
lines use it also...  I'm SURE commuter lines do so to...

Some coal transport trains in West Aus run with >100 coal trucks, and have loco
groups at multiple spots along the train in addition to the front. They also
have problems on hill-crests, where the lead locos must reduce power going down
the far side, while other locos still climbing must still be powered, to avoid
breaking couplings. And the opposite in valleys. Luckily the landscape in the
areea is such that there are minimal crests & valleys 8?)

ROSCO