 Trains / 14647
Re: Broken Monorail Motor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 03:07:09 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:
(Hey!  I thought you all said Monorail wasn't Train!  What is this thread
doing in .train?)

Well, I did actually start the thread in .town and .space in addition to
.trains. To me it makes most sense to discuss monorails in .trains
because they have the general characteristics of a train, and are
heavily used by train folks (it seems most train clubs include a
monorail in their train show).

One thing which has annoyed me about the monorail is that it is possible
to reverse the polarity on the motor connection such that a particular
setting of the stop/direction setting track will not work for all trains
(note that if you pick the train up and reverse it's direction, the
direction setting track will continue to work the same way). Also note
that one stop/direction setting track can not be used to keep two
monorails each to their own section of track, unless one carefully wires
one of the monorails in reverse polarity from the other. Most of our
crashes occurred when we had two monorails chasing each other and were
manually using the stop tracks to separate them. We also had some
problems with monorails cruising through the direction setting track
because of their polarity.

I need to experiment with monorails at some point. At our last train
show I determined that a 2x2 round brick can be used instead of the
direction setting track. I am thinking about a mechanism to raise and
lower 2x2 rounds so that one could build a potentially motorizeable/RCX
controllable mechanism to switch what the station would do.

Frank