 Trains / 14628
Re: Broken Monorail Motor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 16:58:41 GMT

Mike Walsh wrote:
I've been told that hauling this much weight (which applies to either
arrangement) can be really bad for the motors.  What experience do you • have
with this?  Do the motors take it well?

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com

Actually, Cary and I have our four car monorail trains configured
differently.  Cary's has the motor between the first and second car and mine
has the motor between the second and third cars.

Oops... That will teach me to rely on my memory, somehow I thought one
of you had re-arranged your cars (I do remember that Mike's was as
described when he first showed it to me - perhaps Cary switched to the
motor in the center). Oh well, whatever...

I suspect load will not be much of an issue. I would not be the least
bit surprised to find that the motor in the monorail motor is actually
the same part as that in the train motor (every LEGO motor other than
the micromotor which I have seen has the same flattened cylinder shape,
and the monorail motor housing indicates it will have the same shape -
note that this particular shape is very common, I know I have seen it
many times in non-LEGO motors). The difference may just be in the
gearing, and the monorail motor unit definitely runs at a slower rate
than the train motor, suggesting more gear reduction, which of course
gives more torque and more pulling power. If this is the case, then a
four car monorail may be less load on the motor than an out of the box
metroliner is.

I have noticed some speed change when the monorail goes uphill or
downhill, but very little. This does suggest the load is relatively
light (if the load was near the limit of what the battery could deliver,
the train would very noticeably slow down going up a hill - which I have
seen a short 9v train do on a trivial grade).

Another indication of load: I have never picked up a hot monorail motor.
I've picked up hot train motors.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com