 Trains / 14632
Re: Broken Monorail Motor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 19:21:03 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Tony Hafner writes:
In lugnet.trains, Cary Clark writes:
The four car monorails have been run for eight hours straight and multiple
days (on one battery) with no visible ill effects at train shows. The
monorail surprisingly runs at exactly the same speed up and down hill. I use
a regular battery, while Mike Walsh uses a rechargable; the regular
battery-powered cars will catch up to the rechargable after a few loops --
we've had some spectacular crashes that way.

I usually try to avoid the crashes... I'm thinking about trying to implement
a crude block system that keeps two cars from doing this.  First, I have to
come up with a reliable motorized point!

Why? Don't you just need a way to stop the monorail under RCX control? That
requires a reliable motorized reverser/stop control track it seems to me...
(I have been tinkering but don't have a good design yet, the thing you pivot
is very stiff and I have sheared some axles trying to do it.

Or were you tinking that you'd send the faster monorail on a longer path if
sensors indicated it was catching up too much? That would be a VERY neat and
novel approach.