 Trains / 14639
Re: Broken Monorail Motor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 21:20:27 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Tony Hafner writes:
I usually try to avoid the crashes... I'm thinking about trying to implement
a crude block system that keeps two cars from doing this.  First, I have to
come up with a reliable motorized point!

Why? Don't you just need a way to stop the monorail under RCX control? That
requires a reliable motorized reverser/stop control track it seems to me...
(I have been tinkering but don't have a good design yet, the thing you pivot
is very stiff and I have sheared some axles trying to do it.

The RCX is often used as a very expensive and overengineered way to solve
simple problems.  Sure... I *could* try that approach.  But I'd rather do it
mechanically.  And $200 (or thereabouts) for a relay would cut very deeply
into my Lego budget.

Or were you tinking that you'd send the faster monorail on a longer path if
sensors indicated it was catching up too much? That would be a VERY neat and
novel approach.

That would be cool, though too complex for a mechanical solution (at least
for me at this time).  And I misspoke when I said "point".  I really did
mean the reverser track.  I'll probably start with a design much like my
Duplo relay and go from there.  I'm thinking of having one train stop at the
station while the other goes around the track.  As it approaches the
station, the first train takes off.

Motorized switches come next- Will Chapman showed my his design a while back
that he claims is quite reliable, though it might not work for my purposes.

If only Lego would sell the polarity switches again- that would make this
job *far* easier.  I have to find really wacky solutions to work around this.

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com