 Trains / 11422
11421  |  11423
Subject:
Brit-Rail APT (Advanced Passenger Train)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2001 15:26:58 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I've been working on a pendular mechanism to tilt train cars through curves.
A fun project!  :-)

There are quite a few train sets now that employ some type of pendular scheme,
now; but, for me the Brit-Rail APT was my first introduction to a tilting
train.  (Was it the first to carry ticket-paying passengers?)  So, it seems
appropriate to outfit an APT with my first pendular mechanism.

In the Spring of 1981, I lived in England (11 years old) and got to ride the
InterCity 125 to Edinbourough(spelling, sorry).  Fantastic ride!  In the little
town of Grantham, Lincolnshire, I got to hear the 125 set blow its dual-tone
two-note horn as it blasted through town.  (We lived in Harlexton Manor, in
case anyone reading knows that place.)  I loved hearing that horn and the
wish-whoosh of the 125.  :-)

OK, back to the APT....

The APT was soon to be revealed.  I must have seen preview photos on the
tele...?  I thought it was a very cool serpantine looking train set with a very
aggressive snout.  I even like the contrasting yellow nose.  :-)

With no further delay (but, don't buy any tickets, yet!), here is my version 1
of the APT:

Tilting Mechanism:
Yes, it is really in there.  I've proven the mechanism on a single 4-axle
dual-bogie passenger car.  But, this APT is currently only CAD-based.  From the
few photographs of the APT that I have found, it is unclear to me how the
wheelsets are composed near/at the union of adjacent wagons.  I have modeled
adjacent wagons to share a 2-axle wheelset.  Is this correct?

So, my APT v1 model may not run/tilt quite right.  But, hey, failures of my APT
set would be on par with the real-life set...sadly.

The tilting mechanism adds no additional height to the train car.  In fact, the
pivoting bogie plate rest under the wagon main carriage just as in a regular
train wagon if built by the Technic hole-plate technique (as opposed to using
the LEGO train base-plate).

Any pointers to additional photos of the real-life APT set would be
appreciated. Thanks.

Advanced Passenger Train
British Rail
Very limited service in 1981-82(?)

Employed a pendular (tilting) mechanism for projected top speed of 150mph.

See real-life photos at:

http://mercurio.iet.unipi.it/pix/gb/electric/APT/pix.html

http://www.o-keating.com/hsr/apt.htm

http://www.freefoto.com/pictures/transport_rail_modern/apt/index.asp