 Trains / 11454
Re: Brit-Rail APT (Advanced Passenger Train)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2001 14:31:13 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Mathis writes:
I've been working on a pendular mechanism to tilt train cars through curves.
A fun project!  :-)

There are quite a few train sets now that employ some type of pendular scheme,
now; but, for me the Brit-Rail APT was my first introduction to a tilting
train.  (Was it the first to carry ticket-paying passengers?)  So, it seems
appropriate to outfit an APT with my first pendular mechanism.
later,
James Mathis

Someone brought a working tilt train along to Tony Priestman's Lego Fest
earlier this year.  Who was it?  I was hoping to have another look at it at
Gosport, but it didn't show.

It worked by having a large bogey pinned upright then pivoted horizontally
onto the rear of one carriage, then also pinned under the front of the next
one.  The rear of the carriage was free to both turn and roll, but the pivot
at the front of each carriage was angled, so that the carriage was forced to
roll slightly as it turned into a corner, like a skateboard truck.  By only
forcing one end to tilt in this way, with the other end free, it could
easily handle zig-zag tracks and points.

A brilliant (if slightly flimsy) mechanism.  I'd like to try one myself if I
could stand to build a diesel :-)

So, come on, who was it?

Jason J Railton