 Trains / 11486
Re: Brit-Rail APT (Advanced Passenger Train)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2001 01:05:37 GMT

Sporadic? Moi?

I have some trad photos somewhere detailing the bogeys which can be scanned
- I have not the patience or the desire to set up my own website right now
but when scanned they can of course be emailed or put on someone else's
site. The Tilt train is still built but I have had a half-hearted attempt to
rebuild the bogeys as they were too light. Unfortunately weight=bulk so I'm
up against a brick wall here, excuse the pun.

Jason's correct in his assessment, they work like skateboard trucks.

Jon

In lugnet.trains, Tony Priestman writes:
On Thu, 31 May 2001, Jason J. Railton (<GE7F01.HM9@lugnet.com>) wrote at
14:31:13

Someone brought a working tilt train along to Tony Priestman's Lego Fest
earlier this year.  Who was it?  I was hoping to have another look at it at
Gosport, but it didn't show.

It worked by having a large bogey pinned upright then pivoted horizontally
onto the rear of one carriage, then also pinned under the front of the next
one.  The rear of the carriage was free to both turn and roll, but the pivot
at the front of each carriage was angled, so that the carriage was forced to
roll slightly as it turned into a corner, like a skateboard truck.  By only
forcing one end to tilt in this way, with the other end free, it could
easily handle zig-zag tracks and points.

A brilliant (if slightly flimsy) mechanism.  I'd like to try one myself if I
could stand to build a diesel :-)

So, come on, who was it?

It's Jon Reynolds.

His online appearances are a bit sporadic, so I'll see if I can dig out
some pictures that I took a while ago.