 Trains / 11497
Re: Brit-Rail APT (Advanced Passenger Train)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 3 Jun 2001 02:32:14 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Huw Millington writes:

"James Mathis" <thakius@nmt.edu> wrote in message
I've been working on a pendular mechanism to tilt train cars through • curves.
A fun project!  :-)

There are quite a few train sets now that employ some type of pendular • scheme,
now; but, for me the Brit-Rail APT was my first introduction to a tilting
train.  (Was it the first to carry ticket-paying passengers?)  So, it • seems
appropriate to outfit an APT with my first pendular mechanism.

James, that is a stunning model -- PLEASE keep the DAT up to date as you
refine it and share it with us all!

Huw

Huw:  I will try to keep the APT dat up to date.  It is easy to do for now, for
I only build this APT in MLCad for the moment.

I am in the process of securing many critical elements that I do not have in my
dwindling train-specific parts assortment.  Once I have in-hand these critical
parts, I will begin to build the APT in ABS form.

I hesitate to release any description of the pendular mechanism for now since it
is not tried, tested, nor proven on the APT set.  I am fairly confident that the
body shell of the APT will be fine for a non-tilting set.  But, the application
of the pendular linkage may shift the scales.  We shall see.

I hope it all works!

In the meantime I will continue to try to improve my MLCad skills, trying new
virtual designs.  I'm really glad I'm finally learning the MLCad skills.  What a
wonderful program! Kudos to Mr. ML!  Thank you.

later,
James Mathis