 Trains / 11457
Re: Brit-Rail APT (Advanced Passenger Train)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2001 15:41:19 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

"James Mathis" <thakius@nmt.edu> wrote in message
I've been working on a pendular mechanism to tilt train cars through • curves.
A fun project!  :-)

There are quite a few train sets now that employ some type of pendular • scheme,
now; but, for me the Brit-Rail APT was my first introduction to a tilting
train.  (Was it the first to carry ticket-paying passengers?)  So, it • seems
appropriate to outfit an APT with my first pendular mechanism.

My physics might be completely wrong here, but the APT system was active
wasn't it, in that it forced the train to lean into the curve to counteract
centrifugal force.
Without an active mechanism, wouldn't a tilting Lego train have the opposite
effect? i.e. centrifugal force making the train lean out of the curve even
more and toppling over even quicker than a non-tilting one?

For a passive tilt mechanism:
It depends on where the pendular axis is located.  If the axis of rotation is
above the wagon's center of gravity, then the wagon would tilt such that the
base of the wagon swing out in the curve- a "correct" tilt.
But, if the axis of rotation is below the center of gravity, then the wagon
would tilt such that the top of the wagon would swing out in the curve- as you
mentioned above.

First prize to whomever manages to squeeze an RCX controlled pneumatic
active solution into a Lego train :-)

I'd like to see this, too.

In case you're wondering, my solution is a leveraged "active" pendular system.

later,
James Mathis