 Trains / 11351
Re: Great train related web sites? Now: G Scale
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2001 17:43:24 GMT

Katie Dokken wrote:

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:

Yikes, sensitive subject;-)

Actually, yes.  Not for me though.  I could really care less.  But for many of
the others in "G scale", "Large scale" or whatever, they really get their noses
out of joint over it.  And when they explain their reasoning I see their point
but still can't get myself to get worked up over it.

What scale *do* you model, and have you ever considered modeling LEGO trains • to G
scale?

WOW!  Talk about sensitive subjects!  I've always modeled my Lego trains to
Lego train scale, but about a year and a half ago, one of my G scale friends
saw my Lego trains and asked me if anybody modeled Lego in G scale.  Not
knowing that that was an "unmentionable" subject, and not knowing the answer, I
asked the question on a Lego forum on Yahoo I think, and was just about flamed
out of existance.

lol  I guess we know why those yahoos post there;-)

So I'm suprised to see you mention it.  I thought it was a
huge "no-no" along with cutting brick?

I'll tell you what.  I am so tired and bored with people who have such narrow POVs
with respect to LEGO.  Paint your LEGO?  Decal it?  Cut it?  Combine it with
Bestlock (well, okay, even *I* draw the line there;-)  But seriously, I don't
care.  It's a toy.  If someone wants to remain "pure" (use *only* LEGO parts, no
cutting, decals, LEGO-only string, etc, etc), more power to them.  *But it doesn't
make what they are doing any more valid than what some brick-cutter is doing!*
Because the fact is, nobody really cares what other people do with their bricks;
they only care what *they* do with *their* bricks.

We like to joke around here in trains and elsewhere about such topics, because we
all know that it doesn't matter; it's just a toy.

(I utilize G scale track, trucks and couplers)

Exactly why I was told that it was a "non" topic.  Using G scale trucks
violated the "sanctity of Lego brick" or something.

<shaking head> "sanctity of Lego brick"  that is a load of B as in B, and S as in
S....  I suppose that the trains that run at LLC, for example, somehow violate
this sanctity as well (non-LEGO track, trucks, and couplers... Oh, but wait, maybe
TLC gets *special dispensation* because they *are* LEGO???)

Well, even talking about such a non-issue is a waste, so I'll stop:-)  But I'd
love to mix it up with some purists sometime!

But someone at that time
did refer me to your pics so I've seen that car before.  Good job.

Oh really?  Thanks.

With that being said, I model European which leaves me with LGB at 1:22.5.

You know, of course, that the Belville adults are very close to that scale (wink,
wink).  One of my dreams down the road is to set up a 14 wide garden layout in my
backyard:-)

Aster is too expensive along with some other smaller German manufacturers.  And
I really don't like Marklin Maxi.  Its okay.

Katie

You can see my website at:  http://www.usinternet.com/users/krdokken.

I checked it out.  Very nice, Katie.  One thing, however.  Did I notice that you
employed <gasp> hated Playmobil figs and buildings???? (You can tell me; I won't
let on to the others....) [1]

All the
pics are really high res scans.  If you're on dialup the download time is long.
I've gotten complaints about the high res of my pics.

Flibbity-floo.  Post 10 MB pics if you want (I have a DSL connection anyway;-)
It's your site:-)

-John

[1] part of that kidding around stuff I was talking about earlier;-)

But they are my pics.
I might fix the problem sometime in the future, but then again.  I might not
;-)