 Trains / 11350
Re: Great train related web sites? Now: G Scale
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2001 17:18:05 GMT

Katie Dokken wrote:

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:

Yikes, sensitive subject;-)

Actually, yes.  Not for me though.  I could really care less.  But for many of
the others in "G scale", "Large scale" or whatever, they really get their noses
out of joint over it.  And when they explain their reasoning I see their point
but still can't get myself to get worked up over it.

Sounds like the great 8- vs. 6-wide debate (no debate is to polite word)
squabbling that goes on around here.

What scale *do* you model, and have you ever considered modeling LEGO trains • to G
scale?

WOW!  Talk about sensitive subjects!  I've always modeled my Lego trains to
Lego train scale, but about a year and a half ago, one of my G scale friends
saw my Lego trains and asked me if anybody modeled Lego in G scale.  Not
knowing that that was an "unmentionable" subject, and not knowing the answer, I
asked the question on a Lego forum on Yahoo I think, and was just about flamed
out of existance.  So I'm suprised to see you mention it.  I thought it was a
huge "no-no" along with cutting brick?

snip

We seem to be a bit friendlier around here than some of the folk populating the
other parts of the internet, and John worked us up to his 14-wides (and down to
his 4-wides). So there wasn't much, if any, flaming when John introduced his
14-wide models. What I mean is that John got us used to hearing about 8-wide
models, so we were used to John breaking the standard. When he brought up the
mixed LEGO-G and LEGO-HO models, well, that was just John breaking the standard
again... no big deal. Plus we know that John is not a mad LEGO mangler, so he
barely ruffled any feathers. Most people thought the models looked great, but
most people decided that they either didn't have the bricks to build that big,
or they wanted to stick with all LEGO parts.

Chris
--
See some of my LEGO creations at http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/~lego/