 Trains / 11346
Re: Great train related web sites?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2001 15:29:01 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Katie Dokken writes:

They have some incredible G Scale models.

http://www.usatrains.com/

They look nice but I am not totally convinced that using G models as your
prototype is prudent, G has some distortion, no matter what you do, because
of the gauge/scale issues with it. You'll be close but if you use a
finescale model for a reference (such as an O or HO model) you'll be just a
little bit closer.

Hmmmmm.....  Are you trying to say that Lego is to_scale?  So what scale is
Lego exactly?  What gauge? And do the scale and gauge match?

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I am NOT saying Lego is to scale. I am just saying
that I prefer to choose where to introduce distortion rather than working
from an already distorted model. Now, the amount of distortion in, say, that
model that Eric references, is probably not enough to worry about.

Not all "G" scale is distorted.  There are some incredibly talented people
hand laying their own track and kitbashing all their own stock from the ground
up in order to make it exactly "to scale."

Fine, fine, but you're not likely to find their work at a site that comes up
high in search engines. Further, there is no such single thing as G scale,
as J2 explains.

Maybe the best thing to do is just stick to prototype pics.