 Trains / 11236
Re: event "champions"...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2001 18:20:06 GMT

Well if you build your train right you can get away with "just gunning it".
If it's too light then you do get a lot of wheel spin, of course too heavy
and you slow the train down.

And yes there is a width limit, I failed to mention that in my orginal post.
The trains must be 12 studs wide or smaller. This is to keep them from
smashing the the starting lights (and each other)

Making them low to the ground does keep them from derailing, but also if you
notice on "Big Blue" there are skirts that come down and hug the rails.
(http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=20448) This helps keep the
train nice and straight so that the engine's wheels are always even on the
track. And it looks "neat-o" too :)

Also lights are optional, both the Green Machine and Big Blue have lighted
cockpits, it looks pretty wild when the room lights are turned down. Of
course I'm sure this draws a bit of energy from the motor, but that's the
price you pay for coolness.

jt

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Jake McKee writes:
WOW! That is terrific! I love it!! I am impressed with the technology too!

I would assume part of the skill is not just gunning it full speed on the
green light, but rather quickly working up to speed for better traction.

Oh and I assume with your cars being so low to the ground, there is less
chance that they would tip or come de-railed?

Are there any width limits on the cars?

Thanks for the info!

Jake
FUT .trains

---
Jake McKee
AFOL
LUGNET Member #211

In lugnet.events.brickfest, James Trobaugh writes:
Ok Jake here's how it works. There are two lanes of straight track (at the
shows we normally have about a 15' foot strip set up). There is a speed
regulator for each lane. At the starting point there is a lighted
"christmas" tree controlled by a computer. The lights will count down from
yellow, yellow then green. On the green light nail the controller as fast as
you can.( There are custom light sensors at the starting line that will
detect if you jump the gun and try to go to early, if this happens you get a
red light on your side of the "christmas" tree and the power is cut to your
lane) At the finish line there are two custom light sensors that will detect
the winner and kill power to the tracks to avoid trains running of the end
of the drag strip. The winning lane is displayed on the LCD screen at the
starting point. It's pretty simple, and it's always a hit at the train shows.

So build yourself a racer and bring it on out.

You can see some examples of the races and racers at the following links:

http://www.ngltc.org/NMRA2001/races/index.htm