 Trains / 11036
Re: Where to start
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 22:32:33 GMT

Thanks James
Now I might find my bearings.
4565 looks better to me too if I can sell the idea to the kids.
What about the 4558 metroliner (as a building/play set not as a collectors
item)? A 4558 has been offered to me for c. $100.
What about extra carriages (assuming i went for the freight train)
there's a girl here who wants something for a whole load of passengers :)

Thanks again
Ronan

In lugnet.trains, James Powell writes:
In lugnet.trains, Ronan Webb writes:
Hi,

New to trains - just the station so far ...
looking for advice on what to get or look out for.
Have to remember youngsters (5.5 & 7.5) who aren't too keen on used sets
(it's great opening those baggies) so I may have to spring for a new one
first time out.
Anyhow, what should I look out for - 4561, 4565 ?

4565 is by far the better buy.

See:
http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=6875
for my suggested $210 USD purchase.

What amount/types of extra track to make it interesting?

As much as you can get/afford.  Don't buy curved track though, unless you are
desparate.  I am fairly sure you can get it on Brickbay cheaper than the boxes
of it.  I had 6 or 7 boxes of straight track, 2.5 ovals, 4 points when I was a
kid, and managed a lot with it.  Be warned, that it does take up a good deal of
space!

How much of an outlay for a good startup?

$210 should get you a good startup, as listed above.

James Powell