 Trains / 6875
Re: best train set for starting out
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 19:50:54 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Curt Helmerich writes:
I've been a Technic fan for a long time and am now looking to get into getting
some of the Lego train sets. Could anyone recommend which sets might be the
best one to buy starting out. I was thinking one of the larger main sets along
with some extra track might make the most sense. Looking to spend no more than
US$200.

Best set to start with, of the current sets, would be a 4565.  Get a extra box
of straight track, and a box of switches, and ask one of us for a controller.

I'm not sure, but I think if you ask nicely, you might be able to get the set
for a decent discount over the S@H price (I don't have any to sell), in which
case I would recommend more straight track to bring you to your $200 limit.

The controller can be had for $19 including shipping (I'll send one for that
price, no prob.) so _don't_ waste $40 getting it from lego.

So:
Freight&Crane railway ~$125
Controller            ~$19
Switching Rails       ~$28
2x straight track     ~$26

Now, I don't know how the shipping price would work, I assume you are slightly
flexable about the $200 limit (It would be something like $210+ any taxes)

James