 Technic / 7704
Re: Liebherr R996 Mining Excavator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 12:58:52 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Jennifer Clark writes:
How about bolting on a wee (or not so wee) compressor onto the hand controller?
Get something driven by two gear motors in there and you’ll be sorted for power
and speed.

That's a good idea (the not-so-wee one ;-)  I could probably take out the
air tanks and add a second compressor in the body of the model.

We can patch in my excavator one at Brickfest and see if it works ;-)

Fortunately the tubes and wires in my controller are easily accessible. Oh
yes, we'll have some fun!

Do you like the airtanks?

Um, now that I think about it... No. They take too long to "pressure up" and
then are quickly depleted. The pressure is zapped once the digging arm is
fully extended (requiring 8 cylinders).

Of course the tanks do allow me that "boost" so that I can work the arm
quickly and impressively, although only for a few seconds.

I tried with and without on my colleagues at work and
the jury was out on the matter. Some like the boost you get from full tanks, others
were a bit confused by the difference in performance and different levels of tank
fullness. I tried to make a “gasometer” thing from many large pneumatic cylinders
with elastic bands holding the pistons back to try ensure a relatively constant air
pressure at different volumes, but I can’t remember how well it worked :-)

Personally I prefer the pneumatics without airtank, I like the constant performance
and by omitting the airtank space can be saved. If you have a powerful enough
compressor you can probably do without them anyway.

I'll try that with my model, and we can experiment at the 'fest too. I don't
think my one compressor is suited for the job, though. I'm sure I'll have to
add more compressors, like yours ;-)

One interesting thing about my set-up is that the long lengths of tubing
create a large volume that has a similar effect as the air tanks. If I took
out the tanks, I'd still have to contend with it.

TJ