 Technic / 7703
Re: Liebherr R996 Mining Excavator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 12:02:49 GMT

"Thomas Avery" <thomas.avery@intec-hou.com> wrote in message
news:Gz1otv.DMC@lugnet.com...

Yes, and operation of the digging arm is very slow once the tanks are
depleted. I'd really like to add a few more compressors. The hand pump on
the control box helps considerably, though.

How about bolting on a wee (or not so wee) compressor onto the hand
controller? Get something driven by two gear motors in there and you'll be
sorted for power and speed. We can patch in my excavator one at Brickfest
and see if it works ;-)

Do you like the airtanks? I tried with and without on my colleagues at work
and the jury was out on the matter. Some like the boost you get from full
tanks, others were a bit confused by the difference in performance and
different levels of tank fullness. I tried to make a "gasometer" thing from
many large pneumatic cylinders with elastic bands holding the pistons back
to try ensure a relatively constant air pressure at different volumes, but I
can't remember how well it worked :-)

Personally I prefer the pneumatics without airtank, I like the constant
performance and by omitting the airtank space can be saved. If you have a
powerful enough compressor you can probably do without them anyway.

Jennifer