 Technic / 4407
Re: 2001 Model
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 08:29:02 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Steven Combs writes:

As a new user, I have not had a chance to experiment with the actual
capabilities of the system.  Great to hear from someone who has.

The system really is good, your sometime's, amazed at just how powerful
those little cylinders can be.

I agree 100%.  Legos is about original creation (or play!!).  But I have to
admit, I learn a lot by building these canned models and then employing the
specific feature on a new creation.

That's a really good point. It's been so long since I built a 'canned model'
that I forgot how much fun they can be. I think the last one I had bought
for me (maybe 10 years ago) was the JCB. That goes to show how long it has
been since lego made what I consider a 'good' Technic model, although saying
that there have been wheeled loaders, super cars and mobile cranes since
then, all model's that appeal to me. Anyway the JCB would show anyone what
could be done with pneumatics, it really was a great set only let down by
the mechanical bucket at the front, but that could easily be
'pneumaticised'. The backhoe arm is really powerful and works just like the
real thing.

I'd encourage you to start experimenting with pneumatics as soon as possible.
I don't know how good your are with mechanisms so here's a few basic rules.
if you move the ram closer to the pivot you get more power but less range of
movement. If it's still not powerful enough it's time to add an extra
cylinder. If the cylinders are to short you can combine two back to back
using 2 lift arms, 2 of those black plates with a hole for a connector, and
4 connectors. And I'd suggest trying operation both with and without the air
resovoir.

And one last thing, I think 'Death to Bionacle' should be adopted as the war
cry of the true Technic aficiando.

Steven