 Technic / 4408
Re: 2001 Model
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 12:00:26 GMT

Steven Lane wrote:

I had a truck already built up in the scale of the tow truck. I seated the
front wheels into the wreckers rear lifting frame(spectacle lift).Would it
then raise my truck? would it heck as like.

Spectacle lift! It took me a moment to get that :-)

I built up my tow truck last week, and must confess to trying a similar range of
experiments to yourself, with a similar mixed success rate. It would probably work
quite well with more skeletal models, for example, I heard that the Turbo Command
(?) car goes well with it.

And as far as the space shuttle goes after seeing it's nifty functions once
or twice I soon got board of that as well (especially as all it's drive
belts slipped).

The Space Shuttle is worth building, take my word for it, as it is a truly
enlightening experience. I've heard about the belt slipping problem but did not
encounter it myself; I think you have to be quite careful about gear alignment and
free axle movement when building the model. I can say all this without fear since
you didn't build the model yourself :-)

but when I came to play ( I mean operate, 25 year olds don't
play)with them I soon lost interest.

I know what you mean here, as much of the fun seems to be in the journey as
opposed to the destination, as it were. There are some exceptions though, and it
can sometimes be a laugh getting a friend round and re-enacting karate movies (or
what have you) with Technic figures :-)

Jennifer Clark
http://www.telepresence.strath.ac.uk/jen/lego/