 Technic / 2770
Re: Rant...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 29 Oct 2000 05:42:20 GMT

I wholeheartedly agree with you here...the newer Technic lines aren't moving
the right direction. I think that the last relatively complex set was the
8446 Crane Truck, which packet a good amount of functions into a
medium-sized package. But aside from this, there hasn't been anything very
good in the 1999 and 2000 lines. The 8444 Air Enforcer and 8448 Super Street
Sensation were not bad models, but they simply couldn't compete with their
predecessors in terms of functions (8412 had four-directional rotor tilt,
8880 had 4-wheel steering, 4-wheel drive, tougher suspension and pop-up
headlights). The 8445 Indy Storm was the one model that was better than its
predecessor 8440 (opening trunk and ventilator) but it was discontinued
early. In the 2000 lineup, the 8458 Silver Champion is a good example of the
new simplicity/appearance trend; it looks awesome but it doesn't have much
functionality and the price is simply daunting. The 8279 4WD X-Track fares
much better, with similar features and a motor for less than half the price
of 8458. The 8457 Power Puller brings back memories of the "good old days"
with its solid studded-beam construction, but the number of functions
included isn't really worth the price.

As for Throwbots/Slizer and Roboriders, I am not sure that they should even
be in the Technic series. Most of these sets, especially the Roboriders (the
Throwbots at least having a gear-operated moving head or wings) have no
technical functionality at all. These things kind of remind me of
Transformers actually...

Lets hope that the great functionality that once used to be the basis of all
Technic sets returns to the series...