 Technic / 2768
  Rant...

Let me begin by stating that I think Lego is one of the best companies on the planet. My experience with them is that they make an excellent product which they stand behind with spectacular customer service. They also usually listen to customer (...) (24 years ago, 29-Oct-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Rant...

I wholeheartedly agree with you here...the newer Technic lines aren't moving the right direction. I think that the last relatively complex set was the 8446 Crane Truck, which packet a good amount of functions into a medium-sized package. But aside (...) (24 years ago, 29-Oct-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Rant...

It went all wrong when they replaced the technic connector toggle joint by those 6 angle connectors. Where with 2 standard pieces you could make every angle you want, where now you could have a hundred #3 angle connectors spare and just need one #2 (...) (24 years ago, 29-Oct-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Rant...

I fully agreed with you. Ofcourse Lego may make such sets but not as a replacement for the "old-style" sets. Maybe they should make every year a model for the "old childs"? (A nice Technic set with a lot of gears and nice mechanism) A few month ago (...) (24 years ago, 29-Oct-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Rant...

(...) I don't have time to comment on much of your post now, but I just wanted to comment shortly on this passage. I've found the new style Technic parts to be hugely more versatile than the old ones, i.e. the ones we saw up until the middle of the (...) (24 years ago, 29-Oct-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Rant...

First of all: yes, I totally agree! It's great not to be alone.... I own some early technic sets from when I was 10-14 and some I bought last year. Because the removal company (Maguire in Bray, Ireland, beware!) was particularly careless I lost a (...) (24 years ago, 29-Oct-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Rant...

(...) THese new junior models are supposed to be designed for kids, correct? They are designed to make building easier for kids, right? Well, I'm a kid. And here is what I say to junior lego, IT SUCKS LIKE CRAP!!!!!!!Why can't lego design their (...) (24 years ago, 29-Oct-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Rant...

OK, When I went into my dark age (upto 95 or 96) I didn't through away every magazine or manual. About a month ago, I was comparing them to from then to now. Basicly I thought Lego designers are either getting lazier or they think people's IQ is (...) (24 years ago, 29-Oct-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Rant...

(...) I'm actually very fond of these new angle connectors, even though the point you make about them not being as flexible as the toggle joint is accurate. As far as I am concerned, the great thing about them is their colour - you can make designs (...) (24 years ago, 30-Oct-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Rant...

I tend to agree with this point of view. The old toggle connectors do still enable solutions that would otherwise be impossible with only 'current' Lego pieces, but they are about the only piece that has been phased out that I tend to 'miss' in the (...) (24 years ago, 30-Oct-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Rant...

I built an 8846 tow truck from spare parts and replaced many of the connectors with black number 6s. However, because the new connectors cannot be made fixed with respect to rotation about the axle (which was possible through the use of the half (...) (24 years ago, 30-Oct-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Rant...

(...) I was looking at the current range of Technic models in the shops yesterday and would agree that the selection is pretty dire - certainly there is nothing there that I would wish to purchase. The only one with a bit of appeal is the Power (...) (24 years ago, 30-Oct-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Rant...

(...) I agree. However I visited your website and found your machines totally magic. Any chance of some detailed building instructions ! Regards Tim (24 years ago, 30-Oct-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Rant...

The angle pieces aren't too bad...but in my opinion there is an excessive use of them in the newer models. BTW how come the 8479 Barcode Multi-Set is available again? Maybe TLC could do this with other models... (...) Heh...actually I guess I'm (...) (24 years ago, 30-Oct-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Rant...

(...) I would say you are right there, functions are really what it is about when it comes to Technic - I used to love models like the 8860 which were big on functions when I was a kid. The 8860 was so cool that looks simply didn't come into it. On (...) (24 years ago, 31-Oct-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Rant...

(...) but they are still blindsided by the extra-technical group. The age distribution of Lego users has a huge long tail that extends into the adult range. Although these people are far from the peak of the demographic, I think our combined numbers (...) (24 years ago, 1-Nov-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Rant...

There is a special part in that rant I specially like, namely 'let jennifer do the design'. I have seen many many wonderfull designs by people whom post on lugnet and these would make some great sets. And the strongest asset of Lego is the community (...) (24 years ago, 1-Nov-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Rant...

"> perhaps Lego should have a (monthly) contest where their consumers can send (...) of (...) This is related to an idea I posted a while back: offer a "polling place" on shop.lego.com in the bulk section where people can vote for a set they'd like (...) (24 years ago, 7-Nov-00, to lugnet.technic)