 Technic / 1929
RE: Suspension
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.build
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 15:04:23 GMT

Fredrik Glöckner writes:
"Bram Lambrecht" <BXL34@po.cwru.edu> writes:

So far I've built one wheel (about 13 studs in diameter)

Are you building your own wheels?  Cool!  I suppose you can't get a
round perimeter?

No, but almost as round as an LDraw cylinder :)  It's 12 sided, built with a
ring of <part: 4590> 1x4 offset plates.  It's about 6 studs wide where it's
in contact with the ground and 8 studs in the center.  I expect it'll work
best on carpet.

Regarding your question: What kind of suspension do you want?
Independent or live axle?  Do you want drive or steering?  The latter
will make your quest more difficult and challenging.

I think I want independent, as this is meant for very rough terrain.  I
think I'll steer by articulating the body, but I'd like drive, so I can try
to motorize it (please work! :)

For such a large wheel, I wouldn't recommend using the specialized
suspension parts.  They are hardly suitable for a wheel of the
8880/8448 size, in my opinion, due to their "floppyness".

I don't expect the car to be too heavy tho, so maybe If I built a beafed up
version of the 8880 suspension...

Although not too technologically advanced, I would go for a
suspension of the kind found on 8437:
    http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=8437

Don't have the set, so that doesn't help me much.

If you want a kind of suspension which allows all four wheels to be
in contact with the ground, you can go for a "tilting/floating" live
axle, like the one I have implemented for the front suspension of a
classic racer:
    http://www.math.uio.no/~fredrigl/technic/classical-racer/

I don't really get how that works.  However, I think I'd like the
differential/axle to be rigid, as that'll make it easier to build the rest
of the car...
Thanks for the input,
--Bram

Bram Lambrecht