 Technic / 1932
Re: Suspension
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.build
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 16:48:29 GMT

"Bram Lambrecht" <BXL34@po.cwru.edu> writes:

No, but almost as round as an LDraw cylinder :) It's 12 sided, built
with a ring of <part: 4590> 1x4 offset plates.  It's about 6 studs
wide where it's in contact with the ground and 8 studs in the center.
I expect it'll work best on carpet.

That sounds fun!  I expect that we will see LDraw'n images
shortly... ;-)

I don't expect the car to be too heavy tho, so maybe If I built a
beafed up version of the 8880 suspension...

But how are you going to connect your custom wheels to the 8880
suspension?  It only supports the native 8880 wheels, unfortunately.

I don't really get how that works.  However, I think I'd like the
differential/axle to be rigid, as that'll make it easier to build the
rest of the car...

Yep, that works quite well.  I'm working on the same thing myself: A
rigid axle with differential connected to the chassis via twin Panhard
rods and twin spring shock absorbers.  You'll need to connect the drive
to the live axle with two universal joints in serial.  Just like a real
truck!

I'll agree with you that central articulated steering is the way to go.
It makes the design much simpler.

Fredrik