 Technic / 1915
  Suspension

Does anyone have designs for a suspension setup using the dark gray shock absorbers? I would like it to have a lot of travel, and have the axle drive the wheel. (I'm building a sort of space rover. So far I've built one wheel (about 13 studs in (...) (24 years ago, 10-Aug-00, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.build)

  Re: Suspension

(...) (24 years ago, 10-Aug-00, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.build)

  Re: Suspension

(...) Are you building your own wheels? Cool! I suppose you can't get a round perimeter? Regarding your question: What kind of suspension do you want? Independent or live axle? Do you want drive or steering? The latter will make your quest more (...) (24 years ago, 10-Aug-00, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.build)

  Re: Suspension

Take a look at the Caterham 7 model that I am working on at the moment: (URL) to my models, then click on Caterham, then you can choose front or rear suspension) I think the rear suspension is the most appropriate for your model. It is similar to (...) (24 years ago, 10-Aug-00, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.build)

  RE: Suspension

(...) No, but almost as round as an LDraw cylinder :) It's 12 sided, built with a ring of <part: 4590> 1x4 offset plates. It's about 6 studs wide where it's in contact with the ground and 8 studs in the center. I expect it'll work best on carpet. (...) (24 years ago, 10-Aug-00, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.build)

  RE: Suspension

(...) --Bram Bram Lambrecht BXL34@po.cwru.edu (URL) (24 years ago, 10-Aug-00, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.build)

  Re: Suspension

(...) That sounds fun! I expect that we will see LDraw'n images shortly... ;-) (...) But how are you going to connect your custom wheels to the 8880 suspension? It only supports the native 8880 wheels, unfortunately. (...) Yep, that works quite (...) (24 years ago, 10-Aug-00, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.build)

  Re: Suspension

(...) browser. Just some notes and the LEGO webring on the bottom. (...) This sounds just like the suspension I'm working on at the moment! It's a very interesting approach. Fredrik (24 years ago, 10-Aug-00, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.build)

  RE: Suspension

(...) I hope it works :) I've built two wheels with suspension now, so I'll try to get it motorized and then add the rest of the frame, the articulation, and the other wheels. (...) I'm not ;) Instead I built a somewhat similar system: basically two (...) (24 years ago, 10-Aug-00, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.build)

  Re: Suspension

(...) I attached the wheels to the motor, and built most of the rear engine compartment, including exterior body and fiber-optic engine. The suspension is quite stiff. Thanks to a worm gear, the vehicle moves slowly but steadily. The fact that the (...) (24 years ago, 11-Aug-00, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.build)

  Re: Suspension

(...) Works fine in my 4.72 Netscape. /Tobbe - (URL) (24 years ago, 11-Aug-00, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.build)

  Re: Suspension

(...) Loads fine in NS 4.73, but when I try to close the window, it crashes NS all together. --Karim (24 years ago, 11-Aug-00, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.build)

  Re: Suspension

Hmmm, sounds like the menu with hover buttons is causing some problems. Try this direct link to the page. You won't get the menu frame to the left or the title frame to the top, but you'll be able to see the important stuff! You should be able to (...) (24 years ago, 11-Aug-00, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.build)

  Re: Suspension

(...) Ah, yes! A custom made independent suspension, much like the one on 8448 or 8865. This approach will need no less than four universal joints. I think that it prevents the width of the vehicle from being narrow, so I've never used this approach (...) (24 years ago, 11-Aug-00, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.build)

  Re: Suspension

(...) Your approach is certainly very interesting! Honestly, I didn't know what a DeDion axle was, but I do now. :-) The design is probably very efficient and low frictiony, like you say. And keeping the differential fixed makes the rest of the (...) (24 years ago, 11-Aug-00, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.build)

  Re: Suspension

(...) I'm a bit of a Johnny come lately in this thread, but I did attempt something similar to this a wee while ago. The idea was to build a 6 wheel drive Moxy style articulated dump truck, the chassis for which sounds not dissimilar to your (...) (24 years ago, 11-Aug-00, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.build)

  Re: Suspension

Update on the rover: The rear end is complete, including the articulating section which is driven by a micromotor. I tested it by adding a couple big wheels to the front, and as long as the vehicle is moving forward, it turns quite nicely, thanks to (...) (24 years ago, 12-Aug-00, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.build)

  RE: Suspension

(...) Yeah, in this case, wider = more impressive. (...) I've decided to make the model 2 wheel drive because I want room for some interior details. Time to go work on the model :) --Bram Bram Lambrecht BXL34@po.cwru.edu (URL) (24 years ago, 12-Aug-00, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.build)

  Re: Suspension

(...) You are certainly correct about this, but as the travel of the suspension is relatively short, the effect is not a problem. The setup really is very smooth. By the way, I've changed the menu on the page now, and added some 'vintage' models (...) (24 years ago, 12-Aug-00, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.build)

  Re: Suspension

(...) Yes, I believe you about this. I tend to be too anal about the mechanics being geometrically correct myself, which can be a bit of a nuisance some times. It is a good thing to be able to loosen these principles some times since you can be much (...) (24 years ago, 13-Aug-00, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.build)

  Re: Suspension

(...) The 'geometric incorrectness' (!) is also true for the driveshafts of course, as the wheels have a fixed distance between them even though the driveshafts change angle. This is not a problem as this design allows the springs to be mounted in (...) (24 years ago, 13-Aug-00, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.build)