 Technic / 1353
Re: Clarification
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 12:42:41 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

What I ment when I said "and so on" was that the first gear would go halfway,
then the 2nd, then the first, then the 2nd and so on. Sorry for not making
that clear.

If you don't have to turn the gears back again the solution might be to
translate the rotation from the motor to linear motion, and then sort the back
and forth motion and lead then to the two gears, then when the motion goes
forth the one gear rotate and when the motion goes back the other gear is
turning.

The pneumatic is great at linear motions like this, and you can make them run
an program where many gears being activated one by one. You can se an solution
like this at Eric Brok's "lego on my mind" at:

http://homepages.svc.fcj.hvu.nl/brok/legomind/

Click "thoughts" and then "pneumatic control"

You then only have to make the linear motion to an rotation, this can be done
by an differential with some gears forcing it to spin in one direction.

If you only need two outputs this might seem as an big construction for the
job. The rotation can simply be translated by placing an leaver one an gear
and let the leaver push and pull another gear (witch need to be bigger than
the first one). The 2nd gear will then move back and forth. This motion can be
divided by an differential with gears to make the two gears rotate.

The last solution don’t give an constant speed when it rotate (at the middle
of the rotation the gear runs faster than the start and the end of the
rotation) but it is the most compact soution.

At both solutions you have to adjust the dimension of the gears to make it
rotate something near an half rotation.

(I haven't tried building any of these but in the therery they work)