 Technic / 1366
Re: How do I...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 12:09:07 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.technic, Gino A. Melone writes:
One thing I've thought about several times is how to build a pure LEGO
MOC which can't be taken apart without damaging pieces.

If I remember correctly, taking apart the shuttle was a handful.
The cage around the battery box was a bit tricky to disassemble;
the problem was that #3 axles that were inserted through a beam
into the polarity switches could not be taken out the same way and a
different way to disassemble the cage was needed
(and not an easy one). the same principle could be used
as a locking mechanism without a spring:
for example, a #2 axle inserted through a beam into a
cross catch (32039) (or  angle connector #1 32013 /  piston rod 3651)
that _can't_ be pulled the other way.
I hope that's clear, I'm thinking about two beams one next to the
other that are fixed together such that the space between them fits
the height of a cross catch exactly. Then, if we put that cross catch
between them and insert a #2 axle through a hole of one of the
beams and into the cross catch, the cross catch & the axle can not
be removed. The only way to disassemble that contraption is
to disconnect the two beams. But if the connection of the beams
somehow depends on the cross catch....
I actually think it can be done and it seems easier than a spring
loaded mechanism.

Just a thought.
David