 Technic / 10100
Re: and you thought I'd lost my mind when I built a turkey...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 02:26:57 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Tobbe Arnesson writes:
In lugnet.announce.moc, Adrian Drake writes:
How about a fully automated Mindstorms controlled minifig scale Freefall
amusement park ride?  Sound like fun?

http://www.brickfrenzy.com/technic_gravitywell.html

Oh! Welcome back to .technic!

It's good to venture in here every once in a while :)

I like!

Good to hear!

This MOC have a rich array of neat functions and details but the one that
strikes me the most is the short pause before the drop - now if that won't get
the adrenaline pumping what will?

Exactly.  The anticipation is half the fun.

I like the selection of faces, I noticed them before you pointed them out in
the text and I especially like the contrast with the cool guy. I'm identifying
with him, not that I consider myself a cool guy but he looks like the
adrenaline junkie I've become. Sitting there calmly with a smile on his face
anticipating his daily dose of adrenaline... Uhm, back to the MOC!

There are three things that makes me *not* wanting to see this scaled up in a
LEGOLAND theme-park:

1) The forces when the sled is braking after the fall would cause LEGO to pay
silly amounts of money in damage claims.

Yeah, and considering this is moving at close to twice what it'd be doing at
a regular amusement park, I can imagine the lawsuits would come fast and
furious :)

2) Those who did not get hurt/die in the brake would surly be broken after the
next freefall when the sled returns to vertical. More $$$ in damage claims.

What, you're saying a 1 story drop, in a steel cage, onto more steel
wouldn't be good for your spine?

3) When the amusement park inspectors arrive they will claim TLC have failed to
repair and look after the ride. Why? See the blue horisontal 1 x 16 Technic
beam that is about to fall off in the bottom of this picture:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/tremor/Technic/gravitywell/dscn0434.jpg
TLC would then be fined even more $$$ and their reputation would be greatly
damaged.

Uhh, oops.  That particular beam isn't weight bearing, it's basically there
for symmetry's sake.

But if they fix those issues, this would surly be a great ride at any Legoland
(or other park for that matter).

And I love the colors on this one!

I was originally planning on giving this some Spiderman-ish theme, but
decided against it.  The color scheme was actually dictated by what I had a
lot of technic bricks left in :)

Well done turkey-boy!

Gobble gobble!

Adrian