 Technic / 10099
Re: and you thought I'd lost my mind when I built a turkey...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 02:23:20 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Jason J. Railton writes:
In lugnet.announce.moc, Adrian Drake writes:
How about a fully automated Mindstorms controlled minifig scale Freefall
amusement park ride?  Sound like fun?

http://www.brickfrenzy.com/technic_gravitywell.html

I love these fairground rides.  I keep meaning to build some myself for
Brickish Association displays.

As is shown by what I've done in Technic, I love amusement park rides too :)

While I think, your Fright Knights ride - I've done a few models with
concentric drives.  I started with the differential gear casing, then my
windmill uses a technic turntable, but one of the smallest is in use in this
carousel:

The Fright Knight Flight was made back before I had any technic turntables.
I think that if I'd make something like that now, I'd be much more
successful with it, and be able to build something much stronger.  Amazing
what 4 years will do to your brick collection and building skill :)

By the way, that carousel looks need.  I'd love to see a movie of it in action.

Thanks
Adrian
--
http://www.brickfrenzy.com

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.j.railton/carousel/

It uses a dark grey technic 16-tooth free-wheel gear (the sort with a
straight hole through the middle).  You press a 1x4 technic steering plate
onto the crown to act as an armature, then press a 2x8 technic plate on top
of that.  You can centre the 2x8 plate on the shaft, and the studs of the
armature will press into the tube holes of the technic plate.  It's driven
with a worm gear slightly lower than normal.

It's also useful for putting two hands of a clock on the same shaft.

I've actually managed to build a triple-concentric drive, though it's so
messy it's a little impractical.  I'm not sure what it could be used for.

Jason Railton