 Star Wars / 8654
Re: New MF model.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 23:23:46 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Joshua Cirinna writes:
I dont like it.  I think its cool looking, but whats the point? It looks
nothing like the MF, mostly because you used the official pieces to build
a ship that is too big for them.

I thought maybe Thad used those pieces as a nod or tip of the hat to the
LEGO designers.  They also have some pretty cool printing on them, IMHO.

It would be an incredible model if you had just forgotten that there was
such a thing as the Millenium Falcon and just made a really cool spaceship
instead. there are other models of this ship out there that are so accurate
and involved its scary, so why bother with it at all

Maybe he did it purely for the enjoyment and self-satisfaction of it.  I for
one can understand wanting to model the Millennium Falcon out of LEGO even
if 10 other people have done it already.  It is *such* a challenge!

( Im not saying this to discourage you, I just wish more people would be
more creative with the brick instead of recreating others work)

Best way to encourage more of that sort of thing is to build prolifically and
publish tons of photos of your own creations and help people learn from them.

well thats what I think, and I mostly wrote this because I am sick of the
lack of criticizm on lugnet.

Lack of constructive criticism?

Either everyone posting doesnt want to know
if people like their models or not, or they are too scared of being ragged
on for being mean, OR everyone who posts are drooling idiots who cant
build at all and think any thing made with legos is Wow! Awesome!

Everyone's at a different stage.

Im really sorry to pick your model to post this rant on, because it is a
cool model; its just not that great as a millenium falcon in my jerky
opinion.

Ahh, but what makes the MF the MF?  Not just the overall shape, but the
details too.

The real culprits are the kids who post models with ugly
mismatched colors and no form, or (theres a specific site Im thinking of
here) stupid recolors of models made by lego ie. ice planet colored
blacktron models.

Yikes, somebody's got an axe to grind!  :-)

Sure make it, sure post it, but I dont think its nessecary for everyone
who responds to your posts to pretend to like it. And if you really like
that kind of junk, I have some REALLY REALLY stupid models to sell you
(actually I dont, I only make *MOC*)

My $0.02:  I didn't happen to say anything about the model yet, but I saw it
a few weeks ago and I was totally blow away.  Without a doubt, it looks just
like the Millennium Falcon to me, and I've studied the other 4 MF's that
other people have built, and I've been known to watch Star Was from time
to time.  ;-)

I think it's the photos which may be misleading and not the model.  The
photos appear to have been taken at close range and at a low depth of field,
giving more foreshortening than is typically seen on MF shots.  I'd really be
curious to see a photo of the model from the top.  I'll bet it's not as
enlongated as it appears at first blush.

Wow, this whole post is really out of hand, I probably shouldnt be such a
jerk

If I'd never met you in person, I'd kinda think you were acting like a jerk,
ya, and BTW, you cold turn that around by posting a few positive comments
about some of the things you do like about Thad's model.  Constructive
criticism works best when the giver is trusted or respected by the receiver
and when the bullet points balance positives with negatives effectively.

--Todd

anyway um...  AWESOME MILLENIUM FALCON!! are those UCS in the background?
Duuuhh!

Josh