 Star Wars / 8655
8654  |  8656
Subject:
What a piece of junk!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 00:18:00 GMT

   I am pleased that my Lugnet mailbox has been more interesting today than
the recent barrage of Brown Lando vs. Yellow Lando.
   I'd like to thank everyone for their comments, both positive and negative.
To put the whole issue of the wacky shape of my falcon to rest, there are two
main problems. (Believe me, I've been agonizing over them since I finished
it.)
   A.) The docking ports, and corridor between them, are about four studs
closer to the rear of where they ought to be (e.g. directly bisecting the
circle part). I tried to make the turret closer to the front, but it didn't
help.
   B.) The top is not clearly enough defined as the circle that it should be.
Especially in the quarter by the cockpit. I should have foregone using the
quarter saucer piece, and used slopes to make it go closer to the front. I
realize this now. And I am most certainly NOT going to take the time to go and
fix it.
   There are a ton of problems with my models... believe me, I know. If I were
to sit down blueprints and graph paper, and rulers, and everything, I'm sure I
could fix a lot of them. But I don't want to. I want to sit on my floor
surrounded by lego and build. But I know....
   - The wings are too long on my shuttle
   - The white domes on my Y-Wing aren't big enough
   - The Y-Wing engines don't look right
   - The A-Wing engine exhausts are wrong
   - The Nebulon-B frigate's back part is at a bigger scale than the front part
   - The AT-AT's legs are stupid looking
   - The X-Wings wings are FAR too long, and the cockpit is too small
   - The Sith Infiltrator's cockpit is the wrong shape
   - Most irritating of all, there are little 1/8 inch bumps all over the top
of all my models which prevent them from looking like the ones in the movies!

   I don't mind Joshua Cirinna panning my MF... that is his privilege. But the
idea that I shouldn't build one because there's already better ones on the
internet is just idiotic. In that case NO ONE should ever build an AT-AT
because it won't be as good as Shaun Sullivan's.
   I don't mind legitimate criticism (which, admittedly did comprise PART of
your post), I don't even mind SCATHING criticism. What I mind are STUPID
comments. And I think your post is full of them, Mr. Cirinna. Criticizing
little kids who build with mismatched colors is stupid. Criticizing people for
building a new version of something that's already been done is stupid.
Criticizing people for building Star Wars ships rather than designing their
own ships is stupid. I think my point is that it's okay to criticize people,
but it's not okay to be an asshole. I doubt if anyone on Lugnet would disagree
with me on that.
   Anyways, if you want to level any more criticism at me, it'll have to be on
the stuff that's already on my website. My Lego is gonna be on the shelf for
the next couple of years now, as I head back to school full time.
   Also, Josh, I think we'd all like to see some of your models. Are they
online somewhere?

Cheers!
   - Thaddeus (who wants a brown Lando)

P.S.

Todd Lehman wrote:
I thought maybe Thad used those pieces as a nod or tip of the hat to the
LEGO designers.  They also have some pretty cool printing on them, IMHO.

I mainly used them because it was basically a choice between using them, or
about 200 grey slope bricks that I don't have. ;)

Todd Lehman wrote:
I think it's the photos which may be misleading and not the model.  The
photos appear to have been taken at close range and at a low depth of field,
giving more foreshortening than is typically seen on MF shots.  I'd really be
curious to see a photo of the model from the top.  I'll bet it's not as
enlongated as it appears at first blush.

This is very much the case. I am a terrible photographer, and can vouch for
the fact that this model looks MUCH better in real life than it does in the
pictures. I have since taken a photo from the top and it can be found on my
website. http://members.fortunecity.com/luminousbeings/lego.html