 Star Wars / 8649
Re: Different definitions of MOC(Re: New MF model.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 19:32:44 GMT

In my opinion, there are MOC's that are modeled on someoneelses ideas, like
star wars models, corvettes and airplanes; then there are MOC's that are are
models of your own ideas, the difference being that one is an exercise in
rendering and one is a representation of something that previously existed in
YOUR head only. To me its all about creativity, and modeling other artists work
is not as exciting as your own work as a matter of course. splitting hairs on
the meaning of MOC is irrelevent. everything you make should be Your Own
Creation! As far as Im concerned
I guess thats it, I like the things you guys had to say in defense of  this MF
model, See-ya later
Josh

In lugnet.starwars, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Karim Nassar writes:

It's for the same reason that
I'm taking a break from MOCs to build a large-scale B-Wing fighter model.

I take it you define "MOC" to mean something completely from your own head?
Typically, I think of a MOC as being anything that someone makes that doesn't
follow Lego (or someone else's LDraw, etc) instructions.

If you don't consider your B-Wing to be a MOC, how would you feel about, say,
Shaun Sullivan and David Eaton's AT-ATs?  Lego hasn't made a model of them
before, so they don't even have that to go on, although they made it from
pictures.

And then, what about someone who makes a model of, say, a Corvette Stingray to
minifig scale?  While they will probably try to capture some of the more
evocative elements of the car, they would have to use less detail due to the
size of the creation, so most of it would probably be from their head rather
than from pictures of the cars.

And what about someone who makes lots of houses?  Certainly elements will be
inspired by houses around them, but most of it might come from their
imagination.

I'm not challenging how you define the term MOC... I guess I just hadn't
conceived before of the different levels of creation when making ones' own Lego
models, so it seemed really obvious to me that a MOC was anything you made
without instructions... you obviously have a different definition.
Interesting.

eric