 Star Wars / 4383
Re: Shoddy MF
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 21:18:36 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.starwars, John VanZwieten writes:

Charles Spindell <legomenace@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Please someone tell me that this is just a bad nightmare.  Wake me up!

I agree, the MF is just terrible.

I'm about to advance a very unpopular opinion, but one I think others might
have, as well:

I *like* the MF.  Sure, it's not perfect.  Ben Fleskes' is perfect (well,
assuming TLG would tool up a better cockpit piece- no offense, Ben, you only
had so much to work with, you know?).  It would also cost several hundred
dollars.

TLG's official LEGO set is a good compromise between design and cost, though.
C'mon- did anyonre *really* expect them not to use the saucer elements?  And
once you're using those, the scale is pretty much set up for you.  You're • done.

The cockpit is pathetic!  If you're going to go the the trouble to make a new
piece, why not at least make it look like the "real" thing.

I think the thing I'm *happiest* about with it is the cockpit.  It's a very
nice canopy piece, and I can already see other uses for it.  It looks to me
like whether the LEGO model seat two abreast or not, it can be made to.
Probably even four, two by two.

Unless it's just
the glare, they didn't even put the radial lines on the front face of the
cockpit. It is possible that those are thinwall under the tan 1x8s so that • the
cockpit could accomodate two pilots, but somehow I doubt it.

No, I'm sure it doesn't.  TLG rarely prints on more than one "surface" of an
element.

It looks like they are continuing the Kenner myth of laser cannons between • the
mandibles.

When has Kenner put laser cannons between the mandibles?  Oh, you're referring
to the POTF Millenium Falcon re-release that has the light elements *on* the
mandibles.

No, I doubt it.  I would bet that thoe elements are just meant to be • decorative
"greeblies" (as ILM used to call useless techie bits).  Many of the Falcon
production models have cargo beams there.

It appears to me that only the top two lasers on the quad laser cannon pivot
up and down--very lame!

I'd be you're wrong there, too.  It looks to me like the cannon is made of the
1x2 hinge brick bottom with the 1x4 plate hinge top.

The 2x2 tiles for the aft engine vents--more lame.

And you'd have them use...?

Some maccaroni bricks, some tiles, a few slopes--all will contribute to
building a decent MF.

And now you've hit upon the real beauty of LEGO.  Don't like it?  Design one
yourself.  I'm happy LEGO even attempted the set, because it gives us a good
cockpit piece.  It also give us more generic saucer sections.  Not to mention
all the minifigs, and a starting point to a better looking Falcon.

eric

Been reading everyone's posts all day and thanks Eric, basically summed up what
I wanted to say in your last paragraph.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Travis